Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Apple Cider Cranberry Sauce

At Thanksgiving growing up, we always had cranberry sauce from a can. I loved taking it our of the can because you had to do it just so otherwise it would lose its perfect shape. Then, using a nice sharp knife, someone cut it into even slices. Totally fun! However, like any art project, I would never dream of eating it as it was too non-foody. Many years later when I made my first Thanksgiving from scratch, even though I was still anti-cranberry sauce, I wanted to make it for my guests. Using a simple recipe, probably from Cooking Light, I made fresh cranberry sauce. It was fantastic (and nothing like the stuff from a can). Now I make it every year.

1 cup sugar
1 cup apple cider or apple juice
1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan; uncovered, bring to a boil over
medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries
pop, stirring occasionally. Chill.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup)

No comments:

Post a Comment