Monday, July 4, 2011

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Happy Fourth of July! I had the best of intentions to make my red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing and dye the icing red white and blue. However, first I was out of cocoa powder, then the icing did not turn out for whatever reason. Probably because I used fat free cream cheese which has a different consistency than the low fat version I used here. Thus, I turned to my jam-filled cupcakes recipe and searched the web for a chocolate frosting recipe without cocoa powder. This one fit the bill, adapted well to substitution, and is fantastic! They're in the fridge right now waiting to go to a bbq. Hopefully, they'll be able to sit out for a bit but either way the taste is definitely worth it.

Photobucket

8 oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
1/4 c whipping cream (I used FF 1/2 and 1/2)
1/4 c confectioner's sugar
1 c semi sweet chocolate chips

Melt chocolate chips and cream in double boiler. Remove from heat and beat in cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Refrigerate for 15 minutes until thickened.

Frosts 12-15 cupcakes

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, the only thing better than a cream cheese frosting is a chocolate cream cheese frosting. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your frosting up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete