Saturday, November 19, 2011

Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets

Another success! I'm on a premade mixes kick. I started with premade baking mixes for things like muffins, scones, and pancakes which I stored in my freezer. This week I tried homemade oatmeal packets. Inspired by a plethora of posts around the web such as this one from Homemade Iowa Life and this one from Noel's Kitchen Tips, I made four packets to start using this recipe. Many recipes call for dry milk powder with the intent that water can be added. However, since I always make oatmeal with milk, I omitted that step.

Updated: My husband reported positive results without the powdered milk. I haven't tried it yet, but trust his judgment and for next week will make another batch again without the powdered milk.

Homemade Instant Oatmeal
1/3 c quick oats
Pinch of salt (~1/8 ts)
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tbs dried fruit such as raisins (optional)
(If mixing with water, instead of milk, add 1 tsp powdered nonfat milk)

In a microwave safe dish, mix with 2/3 c milk. Cook the normal amount of time to make instant oatmeal in your microwave. (~ 1 min in an 1100 watt and 2-3 min in a 900 watt or less).

No comments:

Post a Comment