Friday, January 13, 2012

Libby's Pumpkin Pie

Happy Friday! One of the benefits of living on the East Coast again is its proximity to everything. Yes, Chicago is a travel hub, but somehow I never went east. Thus, this weekend we're going up to NYC for the first time in nearly four years. It'll be a relatively quick trip even though Monday's a holiday for MLK day but our schedule's jammed pack. Anyway, onto today's recipe. As I was going through my camera, I noticed a few pictures that I'd never posted on my blog. This one is of the pumpkin pie I made this past Thanksgiving. I used the recipe from the back of the Libby's canned pumpkin which is a family favorite. What I didn't know, since I don't eat pumpkin things, is that I was supposed to omit the cloves and ginger because they're a bit overpowering. But my family was super nice about it and ate it anyway. Actually, a certain person ate half a pie, so it must not have been too bad.

Libby's Pumpkin Pie
Photobucket

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (we omit)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (we omit)
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie mix)
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell (here's my dough recipe)

Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

Pour into pie shell.

Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment